Sustainability is the long-term goal to protect and manage Earth’s resources by creating balance in the environment, society and the economy. Trading sustainably is the pathway that businesses are being asked to take in order to achieve this.
Trading sustainably has become increasingly important to reduce costs, leverage investment, increase competitiveness and boost reputation with customers and staff.
Many businesses are already planning to reduce their consumption of materials such as paper, food, and plastics, whilst reducing energy consumption is imperative to become more sustainable.
A business thinking about trading sustainably needs to consider all aspects of operations, including transport, plant, equipment, materials and waste policies.
InterTradeIreland offers a range of funding supports to help organisations with innovation. These supports can be used in a wide variety of business areas including:
- Supply chain.
More information about these supports, including eligibility criteria and details on how to apply, can be found at the following link: How We Support Innovation | InterTradeIreland
Other useful information can be found at the links below:
- The UK government have published a 25 year environmental action plan. Read a summary of the goals and targets identified in the plan.
- The Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications in Ireland have published a National Implementation Plan for Sustainable Development Goals 2022-2024. Read the five strategic objectives and 51 actions in the plan.
- Enterprise Ireland have a number of funding supports available to help businesses build productivity and sustainability.
- The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland have a number of energy efficiency training and supports.
- Local Enterprise Offices (LEO) in Ireland have a free programme called Green for Micro that helps small businesses take the first step towards becoming more sustainable.
- Invest Northern Ireland can provide advice, support and funding to help businesses operate more efficiently, minimise waste, reduce costs and improve their impact on the environment. Read Invest NI best practice guides and discover how to access the support available.
- NI Business Info have published a range of helpful guides providing advice for businesses on efficiency and environment.
Do you need further assistance?
InterTradeIreland support can be accessed by engaging with our chat function. You may also be eligible for fully funded consultancy advice, subject to criteria.
Simply click the icon at the bottom right to get started.
Article reviewed: August 2023