1. Trade Hub
  2. Employment, people and cross-border workers

Employers and Employees FAQs

Information for employers and employees about the requirements for living and working in Ireland or Northern Ireland.

People shaking hands on a deal

Two workers in hard hats General FAQs

  • What do I need to do to employ a person living in Ireland or Northern Ireland?

Companies in Ireland with an employee living in Northern Ireland should register employee details with HMRC.

Companies in Northern Ireland with an employee living in Ireland should register employee details with Revenue.

  • Where can I get information for UK nationals moving to or living in Ireland for work?

GOV.UK has guidance for UK nationals moving to or living in Ireland, including an overview of residency, healthcare, and driving.

  • What is the Common Travel Area (CTA)? 

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is an arrangement between the United Kingdom and Ireland that gives a variety of rights to citizens of those countries. It includes more than the basic right to travel freely between both countries without the need for any immigration applications.

  • What are the social security arrangements between the EU and the UK?

The EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement provides several measures for the coordination of social security for mobile employees aimed at protecting the entitlements of EU citizens temporarily staying in, working in, or moving to the UK, and of UK citizens temporarily staying in, working in, or moving to the EU. This GOV.UK guidance gives more information.


Two workers in hard hats Immigration FAQs

  • What is the Electronic Travel Authorisation Scheme (ETA)?

EU citizens will not need a visa to enter the UK but will soon be required to apply for permission to enter the UK through the new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme the Home Office intends to introduce by the end of 2023. The new system is part of the UK’s plan to fully digitise its borders by 2025. You will not need an ETA if you have either: a British or Irish passport, permission to live, work or study in the UK or a visa to enter the UK. GOV.UK has guidance on Electronic Travel Authorisation.

  • What is the UK’s points-based immigration system?

The UK’s points-based system provides flexible arrangements for UK employers to recruit skilled workers from around the world through a number of different immigration routes. This does not apply to Irish citizens who can enter and live in the UK due to the EU Settlement Scheme. Under the points-based immigration system, anyone coming to the UK for work must meet a specific set of requirements and apply for permission in advance. We have a full article about the points-based immigration system for more information.

  • Is there an immigration route for "low-skilled" workers?

There will not be an immigration route specifically for "low-skilled" workers. GOV.UK has information on each of the different routes through the UK’s points-based immigration system.


Two workers in hard hats Visa FAQs

  • Where can I find information on visas and if I need one to work in the UK?

GOV.UK has more information about Skilled Worker visa, Graduate visa, other work visas and right to work checks.

  • How much can a skilled working visa cost?

You will be told how much you need to pay when you apply, though the below information provides guidance on the associated costs with a skilled working visa:

  • Application fee - the standard fee ranges from £625 to £1,423 depending on your circumstances.
  • Healthcare surcharge - this is usually £624 per year.
  • You will usually need to have at least £1,270 available to support yourself once you arrive in the UK (unless you’re exempt).

GOV.UK has more information about the associated costs.

  • If I recruit for a person and the successfully candidate does not have a visa, what are my obligations?

Under the UK’s Points-Based Immigration System, a person must apply for and successfully obtain a visa before coming to work in the UK. It is a criminal offence to work illegally and facilitate illegal work. GOV.UK has guidance for employers on carrying out right to work checks on EU citizens and their family members in the UK, steps include checking a job applicant’s right to work. 

Two workers in hard hats Passport and travel FAQs

  • Is there any change for British passport holders coming to live in Ireland and their non-EEA family members?

There is no change for British passport holders who wish to live in Ireland under the Common Travel Area (CTA) as both Irish and British citizens will continue to be protected. Non-EEA family can travel to live in Ireland, though a visa may be required. Citizens Information has more about residence rights of EU/EEA citizens and their families in Ireland.

  • What are the requirements for pets travelling between Ireland and Northern Ireland?

Pets travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a microchip.
  • Have a valid rabies vaccination.
  • Must have an animal health certificate, or a valid pet passport that’s accepted in the country you’re travelling to within the EU or Northern Ireland.
  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs. 

GOV.UK has more information about taking your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad.


icons8-speech-bubble-66  Do you need further assistance?

InterTradeIreland support can be accessed by engaging with our chat function. You may also be eligible for fully funded consultancy advice, subject to criteria.

Simply click the icon at the bottom right to get started.


Article reviewed: May 2023